I used to view salad as punishment — sitting at the dinner table, staring down my parents with my lips pressed tightly closed, completely unwilling to take two bites. As a willful child, I was only interested in the cookies, as most kids seem to be. I would think “What have I done to deserve such a harsh and unusual punishment?” A bit dramatic, but what more could you expect from an 8-year-old?
But just like naps — dreaded as a child and cherished as an adult — I have grown to like and enjoy salads! I enjoy the bright crispiness of lettuce, the small burst of the cherry tomatoes, and the satisfying creaminess of a good avocado. The Cobb Salad has also become a favorite because I can add some chicken and bacon. And a little cheese, too? Sure.
Cobb Salad is highly adaptable to preferences. Really, you can combine whatever ingredients you have on hand that sound delicious. However, this combination has become my favorite balance of earthiness, tang, acidity, and flavor. It makes me feel full and energized to take on the day. This is a great option for a quick lunch break or a wonderful dinner with family.
Toss up a Cobb Salad and let me know what you think! Enjoy!Print Recipe
Chicken Cobb Salad
- 1 large head of Romaine lettuce
- 4 large eggs, hard boiled
- 2 medium avocados, sliced
- 15-20 small cherry tomatoes
- 1/2 cup shredded cheese or bleu cheese
- 4 medium chicken tenders, grilled or breaded
- 4 strips bacon, cooked
- salt and pepper, to taste
- 1/2 – 1 cup salad dressing, to preference
- Cook bacon, to preference. I like to bake bacon on a foil-lined baking sheet at 400 degrees for about 20 minutes.
- Prepare the chicken, to preference. I like to bread the chicken and cook in a skillet with a bit of oil.
- To make hard boiled eggs, place the eggs in a saucepan. Completely submerge in water. Place over medium-high heat and bring to a boil. Cover the pot, remove from heat, and let the eggs sit in the covered, hot water for about 10 minutes. Run the eggs under cold water to stop cooking. Once cooled, peel eggs.
- Chop or tear the romaine lettuce into small pieces, to preference. Thoroughly wash and pat dry. You may use a salad spinner to dry the lettuce, if you have one. Otherwise, patting dry with paper towel or a lint free towel will work well.
- Slice the hard boiled eggs into 4 sections.
- Slice the avocados into long slices.
- Slice the cherry tomatoes in half.
- Shred the cheese with a grater.
- To assemble, place the lettuce on a platter or in a large salad bowl. Alternatively, you can prepare individual bowls and divide the lettuce up.
- Evenly arrange the eggs, avocado, tomatoes, cheese, chicken, and bacon on top of the lettuce. Dash with salt and pepper.
- Drizzle with your favorite salad dressing (any vinaigrette will pair well). Enjoy!