When someone asks me my favorite type of food, the answer is simple. Tacos (and chips, salsa, and queso). I am a big fan of Mexican food and will always welcome it with open arms.
Recently, it seems we have some form of Mexican food two or three times a week. Tacos, quesadillas, enchiladas, nachos…like I said, big fan.
These Loaded Chicken Street Tacos have become one of my favorites for their simplicity and versatility. They are easy to make, absolutely delicious, and completely customizable. You can add a little more rice and fewer beans, you can throw on some avocado or corn, you can hold back on the peppers — you can pick and choose your favorites.
So, in honor of Cinco de Mayo next week, I hope you enjoy these Loaded Chicken Tacos with everyone around you.Print Recipe
Loaded Chicken Street Tacos
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 6 medium chicken thighs
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper
- 1/2 teaspoon garlic salt
- 1 teaspoon cumin
- 6 small tortillas or tortilla shells
- shredded cheese
- sour cream
- Preheat the oven to 375 degrees.
- Trim the excess fat off of the chicken thighs.
- In a large oven proof skillet, heat the olive oil over medium to medium-high heat.
- Lay the chicken thighs out on a plate. Evenly sprinkle with salt, pepper, garlic salt, and cumin. Turn the chicken thighs over and do the same to the other side.
- Lay the chicken thighs flat in the pan and let them begin to cook., about 5-7 minutes. Once they have browned, turn them over and let the reverse side cook, about 4-6 more minutes.
- Immediately move the whole skillet into the oven to let the chicken cook all the way through. Cook for about 5-7 minutes, or until all pinkness is gone from the inside of the chicken.
- Remove the chicken from the oven and cut into approximately 1 inch pieces. I place the chicken thighs on a cutting board and given them a very rough chop all over.
- Prepare the topping ingredients of your choice.
- Lay out the toppings and chicken in separate bowls. Lay out the tortillas or shells, and let your guests build their own chicken street tacos!