The ultimate grilled cheese sandwich. The grilled cheese to put all other grilled cheeses to shame. The Bacon Grilled Cheese sandwich made with fresh bread, butter, shredded cheese, and thick cut bacon.
William is a football coach. In the fall, we are out late every single Friday night. He doesn’t get the chance to eat dinner between school and the game, so we wait to eat dinner until afterwards. The 10:00 p.m. dinnertime has become near and dear to us.
This past season, we somehow got in the habit of eating grilled cheeses after every game. This unplanned routine became such a fun tradition for us — every Friday night after the game, let’s rush back home for a warm grilled cheese. The best thing in the world!
We don’t mess around when it comes to grilled cheese. I love making No Knead Bread and it is just the right size and texture for this sandwich. But, if you do not have the time to make the bread, any crusty loaf from the grocery store will work beautifully.
Cook a few slices of thick cut bacon. Slice up the bread into sandwich-sized slices. If I use a store bought italian loaf, I usually cut the bread on a diagonal to get a bigger slice. Spread some butter on both sides of the bread and sprinkle with garlic salt. Put the bread in the oven under the broiler until toasty. Flip the slices and toast the second side. Top with cheese and bacon. Broil until bubbly and get ready to taste your new favorite sandwich!
Now clearly, this sandwich is better for the heart than it is for the body. But some things in life are worth celebrating (like a Friday Night Win), and I choose to celebrate with grilled cheese.
This sandwich is delicious on its own, but pairs well with a soup or salad. Try making this Homemade Tomato Soup to really bring in a full meal!Print Recipe
Bacon Grilled Cheese
- 8 slices crusty bread (french bread or other large loaf)
- ~4 tablespoons butter, softened
- ~2 teaspoons garlic salt (or to taste)
- 2 cups shredded cheddar blend (I like the triple cheddar, but any will do)
- 8 slices bacon, cooked
- Cook bacon according to your preference. I like to bake the bacon on a baking sheet at 425 degrees for about 20 minutes.
- Slice bread loaf into 8 slices. See notes for more information on bread.
- Spread some butter on both sides of each slice of bread. Sprinkle garlic salt on the slices, to taste.
- Place the slices of bread on a foil lined baking sheet and broil on HIGH until toasted. Flip the slices over and broil again until toasted.
- Once both sides are toasted, generously sprinkle cheese on each slice of bread. Place two pieces of bacon on four of the slice (you will pair up a bacon/cheese slice and a cheese slice at the end).
- Broil until the cheese is completely melted and bubbly.
- Remove the baking sheet from the oven. Working quickly, flip a cheese slice onto a slice with bacon and press gently to adhere while the cheese is still hot.
- Move the sandwiches to a cutting board, cut in half, and serve!
- This recipe is delicious when enjoyed alone. However, it pairs well with soups and salads. Try this Homemade Tomato Soup!
- For the bread, my favorite is to make this No Knead Bread loaf. However, you can also buy a french bread loaf (or other crusty bread). When I use a french bread loaf, I slice on a diagonal to make larger slices.
- When toasting the bread, if some corners of the bread are toasting faster than others, allow it to keep toasting until mostly uniform. When you remove the slices from the oven, you can cut off any burnt edges.
- This recipe pairs beautifully with a Homemade Tomato Soup!